By: Glazyl Y. Masculino
BACOLOD City – Three armed persons believed to be present during the ambush slay of four police officers in Ayungon, Negros Oriental two weeks ago, were arrested in Badian, Cebu on July 31, 2019.
Authorities identified them as Danny Harold Tancinco, Ronnie Herebias, and Marlon Basalo.
The three suspects who were on board a motorbanca were intercepted by joint operatives of the 2nd Provincial Mobile Force Company led by Police Lieutenant Dominick Poblete, and Badian Municipal Police Station led by Police Lieutenant Revelito Tadique.
Police caught up with the trio following intelligence reports from Negros Oriental.
The suspects were spotted walking in a beach resort while holding guns, prompting the police to arrest them.
“The team rushed up and accosted the suspects as they were visibly seen holding short firearms. The suspects were taken by surprise and were not able to resist the arresting officers,” police records showed.
Recovered from them were two .38-caliber revolvers, nine ammunitions of the same firearm, two rifle grenades, P17,170 cash, subversive documents, a .45-caliber pistol with a magazine and live ammunition, a hand grenade, tactical maps, wristwatch, two 40-mm M203 ammunition, and personal belongings.
The three arrested suspects are detained at Badian police station for the filing of charges for illegal possession of firearms and ammunition, and illegal possession of epxlosives.
Police Brigadier General Debold Sinas, regional director of Police Regional Office (PRO) – 7 said they are still verifying the identities of the suspects, but he alleged that they were “passive observers” when the four members of the Regional Mobile Force Battalion (RMFB) – 7 were killed by the New People’s Army (NPA) at Sitio Yamot, Barangay Mabato, Ayungon town on July 18.
On July 29, Rico Oracoy, and Lito Cadusale, 51, both farmers, and residents of Barangay Mabato were also arrested in a checkpoint operation at the said village while combat operations were conducted at Barangay Nalundan, Bindoy town.
Police are also verifying if the two suspects had involvement behind the ambush slay.
President Rodrigo Duterte earlier offered a P5 million reward for the capture of the suspects behind the police killing.
Last Thursday, the Malacañang said the President may place Negros Oriental province under martial law to put an end to the killings.
As of August 1, Negros Oriental Police Provincial Office (Norppo) said that 17 persons were killed last week.