By: Dolly Yasa
BACOLOD City – Senator-elect Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go urged the public to allow the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the national government to resolve the alleged rape of a Filipina in Kuwait recently.
Go visited on Sunday fire victims at Barangay 2 here who are temporarily staying at Andres Bonifacio Elementary School covered court.
He said the issue is now being settled ever since President Rodrigo Duterte complained to the Kuwaiti government over the ill treatment of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).
Go said the Kuwaiti government had already made the necessary changes to protect the rights of OFWs.
He also confirmed that the suspect, a Kuwaiti police officer, had already been charged with sexual assault.
In order to further address the issues, Go said one of his primary objectives upon assuming office is to pass a law creating the Department for Overseas Filipino Workers which will deal with cases of abuse against OFWs.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said the suspect, identified as Fayed Naser Hamad Alajmy, was accused of raping a Filipina, who had just arrived in Kuwait to become a household worker.
The Philippine Embassy in Kuwait also assured it will continue providing legal and other assistance to the victim.