By Francis Allan L. Angelo
Iloilo’s most modern hospital and one of the country’s oldest and most prestigious higher education institutions forged an agreement that will bolster healthcare education in Western Visayas.
Asia Pacific Medical Center-Iloilo (APMCI), represented by its chairman of the board Dr. Ferjenel Biron, and the University of San Agustin (USA) through its president Fr. Frederick Comendador, OSA, signed the agreement last March 31, 2023.
The agreement stipulates that APMCI shall become the Base Hospital of USA in accordance with the policies, procedures and guidelines governing Base Hospital training that may be issued by law and the Commission on Higher Education.
As a Base Hospital, APMCI “shall accommodate all qualified USA students in its College of Pharmacy and Medical Technology (CPMT), College of Nursing and Nutrition and Dietetics (CNND) and all health-related courses that the university currently offers and may offer in the future that may require a Base Hospital including the planned College of Medicine.”
Apart from healthcare education, the partnership will also extend to research and development with APMCI accommodating USA should the latter decide to conduct joint research activities; exchange of publications, reports and other academic materials and information; and sharing of other activities and programs in areas of mutual interest.
With APMCI’s top-notch and modern medical facilities, it is a perfect partner with USA’s research and development aspect what with its groundbreaking laboratories and research efforts.
The MOA signing is also a significant milestone for APMCI, which is located at Brgy, Ungka, Jaro, Iloilo City, in time for its inauguration on May 28, 2023 and commercial operations on June 17.
Apart from Dr. Biron, other APMCI officials present at the signing were Dr. Amado Lavalle (director/president), Vice Mayor Ma. Theresa Debuque (independent director) and Dr. Danilo Regoso (executive vice president).
Fr. Jonas Mejares, OSA, Prior and Vice President for Augustinian Formation and Mission, accompanied Fr. Comendador in the signing.
MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT ON BASE HOSPITAL
KNOWN ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS:
This MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT, made and executed in Iloilo City, Philippines, this day of _, 2023 by and between:
ASIA PACIFIC MEDICAL CENTER-ILOILO INC., a corporation duly organized and existing under Philippine laws, with principal place of business at Brgy. Ungka I Pavia, Iloilo, hereinafter referred to as the HOSPITAL, duly represented herein by its Chairman of the Board, DR. FERJENEL BIRON, Filipino, of legal age and a resident of Dolar corner Peso St., Bankers’ Village, Tabuc Suba, Jaro, Iloilo City as per Secretary’s Certificate attached hereto as Annex A; and
UNIVERSITY OF SAN AGUSTIN, INC. a domestic, non-stock, non-profit educational corporation duly organized and existing under Philippine laws with business address at General Luna St., Iloilo City, Philippines, hereinafter referred to as UNIVERSITY, duly represented herein by FR. FREDERICK C. COMENDADOR, OSA, University President, Filipino, of legal age, religious and a resident of Iloilo City;
- The HOSPITAL agrees that it shall be the Base Hospital of the UNIVERSITY in accordance with the policies, procedures and guidelines governing Base Hospital training that may be issued by law and the Commission on Higher Education and without prejudice to the payment of training and other applicable fees to the Hospital.
- The UNIVERSITY shall abide with the existing policies of the HOSPITAL as they may affect the student.
- This Memorandum of Agreement shall be valid and effective for as long as the UNIVERSITY is a stockholder of at least forty blocks or four hundred shares of the HOSPITAL.
- The UNIVERSITY shall be given priority over the other affiliate schools in slotting in all areas.
- The HOSPITAL shall accommodate all qualified students of the UNIVERSITY in its College of Pharmacy and Medical Technology (CPMT), College of Nursing and Nutrition and Dietetics (CNND) and all health related courses that the UNIVERSITY currently offers and may offer in the future that may require a Base Hospital including the planned College of Medicine.
- The HOSPITAL shall accommodate the University should the latter decide to conduct joint research activities; exchange of publications, reports and other academic materials and information; sharing of other activities and programs in areas of mutual interest, where such sharing shall result to the benefit of both Parties; and students’ internship/practicum program. The responsibilities of the parties on such research undertakings shall be governed by a separate agreement signed by the parties.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties hereto have hereunto affixed their signatures on the date and in place mentioned above.
ASIA PACIFIC MEDICALUNIVERSITY OF SAN AGUSTIN, INC. CENTER-ILOILO INC.