Lovers arrested for drugs and firearms

By Felipe V. Celino

ROXAS CITY, Capiz – Police filed charges Monday afternoon against a man and his girlfriend for illegal drugs and firearms possession.

The suspects were apprehended during a buy-bust operation Sunday evening in Barangay Timpas, Panitan, Capiz.

Police Major Amie Bulaqueña, Panitan police chief, said charges were filed for violations of Republic Act (RA) 9165 (Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002) and RA 10591 (Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act) against “Janjan,” 26, of Barangay Timpas, and “Jelay,” 25, of Barangay Solo, Pontevedra, Capiz.

The charges were submitted to the Provincial Prosecutor’s Office.

Recovered from the suspects were 25 sachets of suspected shabu weighing approximately 120 grams, with an estimated value of Php 816,000, and Php 10,000 in buy-bust money.

Police also recovered a homemade 12-gauge shotgun (pistol type) loaded with one live round.

Bulaqueña noted that the operation followed two months of monitoring and surveillance.

The suspects are currently held at the Panitan Municipal Police Station for proper disposition.


A 26-year-old woman, listed as the top 7 most wanted person in Capiz, was arrested Sunday afternoon in Barangay Culasi, Roxas City.

Roxas Component City Police Station served the warrant of arrest against “Nene” at her residence. She faces charges for violating RA 9165 (Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002).

The warrant, issued by Presiding Judge Isabel E. Poco-Deslate of Regional Trial Court, Branch 19, Roxas City, on June 7, 2024, recommended no bail.

The operation was conducted by Roxas City PNP and the 1st Capiz Provincial Mobile Force Company, led by Police Lieutenant Colonel Ricardo Jomuad Jr.

The suspect is currently in the custody of Roxas City Police Station.


About Php 70,000 worth of audio equipment was stolen from San Agustin Parish Church on Sunday evening in Barangay Cogon Panay, Capiz.

PCapt. Ronald Ton-ogan, Panay PNP chief, reported that the stolen items included three amplifiers, four microphones, a mixer, two speakers, four speaker boxes, and an extension cord.

The suspects, believed to be two or three individuals, broke into the church by destroying the door padlock during a heavy downpour. The theft went unnoticed by those inside the parish.

The incident was discovered by the church sacristan who was preparing to clean the area.

Ton-ogan urged the public to report any attempts to sell or pawn the stolen equipment.