New swine multiplier, techno farm rises in Iloilo town

By Rjay Zuriaga Castor

The provincial government of Iloilo is making headway in reviving its hog industry from African swine fever (ASF) with the inauguration of a new 30-Sow-level Swine Multiplier Farm and Techno Demo Project on Friday.

The second-of-its-kind facility is a P10-million biosecure and climate-controlled piggery located at Brgy. Talongadian, Sta. Barbara, Iloilo. There is also the same project in Bingawan town.

The project is being implemented under the Integrated National Swine Production Initiatives for Recovery and Expansion (INSPIRE) program of the Department of Agriculture. The INSPIRE  program, introduced in February 2021, aims to fast-track calibrated repopulation and production expansion through farm clustering and consolidation.

Angel Supetran Jr., chief operating officer of the facility, said the project will serve as a hog breeder farm for an efficient and sustainable repopulation and recovery of the ASF-affected farmers.

He added that it will also improve the quality of pig meat since the pig breeds to be grown at the facility are hybridized, particularly large white pigs and landrace pigs which will be grandparent gilts or female pigs.

“[Since it has] a 30-sow level [capacity] and it will give birth to 10, we can expect around 300 piglets,” he said, noting that they are expecting to dispense piglets in May next year.

Supetran explained that 30 percent of the produce will be returned as pay-back to the DA for their identified backyard growers who will start up the value chain of the swine products. The remaining 70 percent will be for the operation and maintenance of the facility.

Aside from the pig farrowing pens, what makes the facility unique is it is built with an exhaust fan and cooling pads to control heat stress and sow productivity, as well as reproductive performance.

The project also includes a Learning Center and an Artificial Insemination Laboratory for the use of agriculture students.

Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Jr. said the project can help in the provincial government’s efforts in lifting the local swine output and recover from the losses of ASF.

“Before we [were] 289% sufficient in terms of swine. We have lost that advantage… We lost the trade aspect and we want to recover that. Gusto naming mabawi yung imbentaryo namin because we have the exact numbers of how much we have lost,” he added.

Iloilo is the second top hog producer in Western Visayas with 182,020 hogs in its inventory.