2 dead, 3 hospitalized due to food poisoning

“kumong-kumong or krukudlong”, scientific name “Zozymus Aeneus”

By Glazyl Y.Masculino

BACOLOD City – Two brothers were dead while three other members of the family were hospitalized due to food poisoning in Hinoba-an, Negros Occidental on Tuesday.

Police Major Clifford Batadhay, town police chief, said a family ate spoiled crabs for breakfast on Tuesday, after gathering some of it on Monday night.

Batadhay said that the family suffered difficulty in breathing after eating the crabs locally known as “kumong-kumong or krukudlong” here.

Batadhay said they were taken into a hospital, where the seven-year-old boy was declared dead. Four of them were transferred to a hospital here.

Municipal Fisheries Program In-Charge Agriculturist II Jimmy Cambarijan, in an interview with Aksyon Radyo Bacolod, said that another fatality was reported when the eight-year-old boy also died while being treated at the hospital. Their parents and 11-year-old sister are still confined at the hospital.

Cambarijan said that the family ate a poisonous type of crab with scientific name “Zozymus Aeneus.”