3 dead, 2 hurt in hit-and-run

The area where three persons died in a hit-and-run involving a Hyundai accent driven by 28-year-old call center agent at Barangay Bubog, Talisay City, Negros Occidental Tuesday. (Photo courtesy of Talisay City Police Station)

By: Glazyl Y. Masculino

BACOLOD City – Two pedicab drivers and a female passenger died while two others were injured after they were hit by a car driven by a call center agent at Barangay Bubog, Talisay City, Negros Occidental early Tuesday.

The fatalities were pedicab drivers Jason Mendoza, 24, and Archie Castillio, 31; and passenger Celsa Marabulas, 57, all residents of Barangay Zone 16.

Wounded were Marabulas’s daughter Rutchil, 23, of Barangay Zone 16, and their friend, Rollin Diasanta, 36, of Barangay Zone 3.

Police Master Sergeant Michael Mcdowell, traffic investigator of Talisay City Police Station, said a speeding Hyundai accent driven by 28-year-old Feb Dharel Medina allegedly hit the two pedicabs he was tailing when he allegedly dozed off on the road on his way home around 4 a.m.

Medina came from Silay City after bringing home his girlfriend.

Mcdowell said Medina first hit Castillio’s pedicab with passengers Rutchil and Diasanta. Then Castillio’s pedicab dragged Mendoza’s pedicab with Celsa onboard.

Celsa and the two pedicab drivers died on the spot due to head injuries while the two other victims sustained minor injuries. Medina then drove away, leaving the five victims behind.

Mcdowell said the five victims came from a drinking session and were on their way home when the accident happened.

After six hours, Medina was arrested by the police at his rented house in Barangay Zone 2 around 10 a.m.

Mcdowell said Medina was traced by the police based on the car debris left on the road and through the statement of a witness.

His car was covered with a tarpaulin at the garage and he was sleeping when we arrived, Mcdowell said, adding that Medina tried to deny the accusations against him, telling the police that his car hit a post or a wall.

Mcdowell said police have evidence and the two survivors identified his vehicle as the one involved in the accident.

Medina was brought to the police station and will be charged for reckless imprudence resulting in multiple homicide.

Meanwhile, Medina, in a media interview, admitted his offense. He claimed that he felt nervous and scared when it happened, that’s why he left the area.