
By Joseph Bernard A. Marzan
Senator Imee Marcos on Tuesday, April 1, accused the administration of her brother, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., of withholding information from the public after Cabinet officials declined to attend the second Senate hearing on the potential arrest of former president Rodrigo Duterte by the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Marcos, chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, confirmed receiving a letter from Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin informing her office that Cabinet members would not participate in the hearing scheduled for April 3.
Senate President Francis Escudero also confirmed receiving the letter, dated March 31, on Monday.
In the letter, Bersamin said Cabinet resource persons had already sufficiently responded to the committee’s questions during the first hearing on March 20.
He also cited Marcos’ public report released on March 27 as a basis for non-attendance.
Bersamin reiterated that some matters raised in the inquiry fall under executive privilege.
Executive privilege, under Executive Order No. 464 issued in 2005, covers all confidential or classified communications between the president and public officials.
“Given the extensive disclosures made, we believe that further participation may no longer be necessary at this time, especially considering that the Honorable Chairperson has publicly relayed her comprehensive findings,” Bersamin wrote.
He reiterated Malacañang’s position on the scope of executive privilege, as outlined in its March 20 letter to the Senate.
“We believe that all matters not covered by executive privilege have already been extensively discussed,” he added.
Bersamin also cited ongoing Supreme Court petitions related to Duterte’s potential arrest, warning that further Senate discussions could violate the sub judice rule.
He said such discussions might influence pending judicial proceedings.
Still, Bersamin said the administration is willing to extend full cooperation through other appropriate channels within legal bounds.
Marcos responded by expressing disappointment, saying many unanswered questions remain.
“I was only able to give a preliminary report,” she said.
“There are still many questions from the public. There is also new information that could clarify confusing answers, inconsistent data and concerns that people want addressed by the government.”
She said the president had previously stated that Cabinet members would not be barred from attending, but Bersamin’s letter contradicted that position.
Marcos said she would ask the administration to reconsider its decision.
“I also sent a letter to them,” she said.
“Maybe they could reconsider because this might be a missed opportunity for the people to learn the truth.”
“If I’m wrong, I will accept it,” she added.
“But it would be better if there was clarity, because if they refuse to attend, the public may think they’re hiding something.”