
By Jennifer P. Rendon
Despite claims by the Bureau of Fire Protection- Region 6 (BFP-6) that negligence and recklessness caused the explosion in Power Barge 102, Ayala-owned AC Energy Philippines said they’re still unsure of what really caused the blast which led to an oil spill in Iloilo Strait.
To get to the bottom of the incident, AC Energy Philippine flew in two consultants and five marine scientists to Iloilo City on July 6, 2020.
Gabino Ramon Mejia, head of plant operations of AC Energy, said the two consultants are third-party independent marine engineers who have experience in ships in Europe.
“They would do the root cause analysis of the incident,” Mejia said in a press conference Monday at Courtyard by Marriott-Iloilo.
Mejia said he has been hearing numerous reports on what caused the explosion in PB 102 last July 3 that do not coincide with the initial report they have.
Mejia opted not to release any statement on the blast amid contradictory reports.
“That’s why we’ve engaged a third-party consultant to do the investigation. Part of the scope of the investigation is to determine the structure and integrity of the ship and the safety,” he said.
Mejia said they needed their expertise because “internally, we want to know what happened.”
PB 102 was not operating when the explosion happened Friday, although the personnel were doing maintenance works.
“Its last operation was around June 22,” Mejia said.
BFP-6 earlier said that on top of alleged recklessness and negligence, PB 102 personnel have been uncooperative in its investigation.
But Mejia assured yesterday that he will talk to BFP, and will meet with local government officials of affected areas and the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB).
“The consultants and scientists are expected to stay for five days to do the investigation. They would fly back to Manila and would submit a draft report to us,” he added.
Based on the investigation report, Mejia said they would know what approaches they would take.
The firm will also partner with local scientists, especially from the University of the Philippines, in the probe and assessment.
As of Monday, the spill has affected 125 families (434 individuals) from Barangays Mansaya and Bo. Obrero, Lapuz.
According Iloilo City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office Head Donna Magno, around 192,660 liters of bunker fuel were collected along with 200 kilos (in 11 drums and 30 sacks) of contaminated debris.
BAD ACCIDENT
Mejia regarded the explosion and the subsequent oil spill as a “really, really bad accident that happened.
“Situations like this should not have happened.”
But moving on, he said the company have two things to convey.
“First, on the spill oil and the community. In the evening of Friday, we were able to contain the oil. We had contained the spillage with spill booms,” he said.
But due to strong waves, he said there were “fugitive oil,” that reached Dumangas, Iloilo and parts of Guimaras province.
So far, AC Energy said they are focusing their attention on four areas –barangays Bo. Obrero, Mansaya, and Loboc in Lapuz district in Iloilo City and Leganes in Iloilo province.
“But starting today, we will no longer need the skimming machine. What was left are oil sheen,” he said.
Skimming machines are used to scoop or gather oil sludge in the water.
Lieutenant Commander Joe Luviz Mercurio, Philippine Coast Guard-Iloilo Station commander, said they have already retrieved 192,660 liters of oil.
Around 251,000 liters of bunker fuel from the power barge’s 268,000-liter tank leaked out after the explosion.
Partnering with community
Mejia said they will be working with the community by hiring able-bodied residents in affected barangays to work in the clean-up operation.
They are compensated P500 per day and are provided with personal protective equipment such as boots, suits, and masks.
Aside from skimming and scooping of oil, the firm also used dispersant pads to absorb the oil.
“We would do our best for the community. We want to solve this problem. That’s the commitment that you will get from us,” Mejia said.
He believed that it will not be difficult for them to overcome the problem because of help from various sectors.
He said at least six companies have provided them oil spill booms at the onset of the oil spill.
“Today and moving forward, our focus is about clean up,” he said.