By: Jennifer P. Rendon
A FOUR-YEAR-OLD boy died inside their burning house at Barangay Rizal, Lapuz, Iloilo City evening of June 11, 2019.
Benedict Peralta, the victim’s father, said he roused his children and wife when he noticed the fire inside their house.
He allegedly went out first followed by his four children and wife.
The couple has seven children but only four were with them when the fire broke out.
But Benedict said Toto (not his real name) allegedly went back to their house to get his dog.
Authorities have yet to confirm Benedict’s claim.
Witnesses argued that the family exited through a window that is as high as the boy.
When the smoke was cleared, Toto’s body was found in the kitchen, just across the comfort room.
The fire also burned down three houses. Two, including the Peraltas, were totally gutted while the other one partially destroyed.
Senior Fire Officer 1 (SFO1) Edison Gimotea, Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP)-Iloilo City arson investigator, said they received the fire call at around 8:56 p.m. It was quelled at around 10:29 p.m.
Gimotea said an unattended candle may have caused the fire.
It was gathered that the family had no electrical connection for around two weeks already.
They were allegedly using a solar lantern and candle at night-time.
Damage to property was pegged at P75,000.