By: Gail T. Momblan
THE Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) in Western Visayas recorded said not a single case of firecracker-related fires occurred from Dec 23, 2018 until Jan 1, 2019.
Fire Chief Inspector Melanie Habawel, BFP-6s Chief Operations Division, said this is attributed to the intensive campaign of every BFP station.
From Dec 24 to Jan 1, fire trucks played campaign jingles to eradicate firecracker-related incident in municipalities.
BFP personnel also distributed education-information materials and personally reminded the public on safety use of firecrackers, Habawel said.
Last year may duha ka firecracker fire incident one sa Aklan, isa sa Antique. For this year, we are happy to say na-zero naton ina, she said.
She said that they were on full alert especially in the month of December, which was considered the highlight of holiday celebrations.
On Jan 1, however, a fire incident occurred at the Philippine National Police (PNP) sub-station in Cadiz, Negros Occidental.
It fell under the structural category, not firecracker-related. So far wala kita firecracker-related incident, she said.
The Cadiz fire damaged P30,000 worth of properties, she said.
Habawel said that the BFP-6 is back on its white alert status on Jan 2.
Buot hambalon, balik kita sa normal nga duty naton sa opisina. Indi na 100 percent ang attendance sang personnel sa station, she added.