By Rjay Zuriaga Castor
To ease the bottlenecks inside malls and public markets amid the upcoming holiday season, the city government of Iloilo has implemented contingency measures for the influx of customers by allowing vendors to sell along sidewalks from December 10 to 31.
“In anticipation of holiday celebrations, it is expected that, as part of Filipino tradition, vendors will set up stalls along the allowed and identified streets of the metro, and customers will swarm to purchase their needs, especially during the holiday rush,” read part of Executive Order (EO) No. 151 approved on Tuesday.
The city government said that it is necessary to allow vendors to set up stalls along sidewalks to cater to the influx of customers and consumers in preparation for the holiday season.
The city’s Public Safety and Traffic Management Office (PSTMO) will spearhead the identification of locations, the size of the sidewalk stalls, and the distance between these stalls.
The PSTMO will also ensure that vendors have secured special permits before they can display their products during the holiday celebrations.
Requirements for sidewalk vending include a barangay clearance from the respective barangay where the vendor intends to sell, a community tax certificate, a special permit contract, an anti-smoking sign from the city anti-smoking task force, and a health card for vendors engaged in food.
These requirements must be submitted to the Special Services Division of the PSTMO.
Vendors are also required to pay P200 for each stall at the city treasurer’s office.
“Only one stall shall be permitted to operate for every vendor. No vendor shall be allowed to operate two or more different stalls in all allowed areas,” the EO also noted.
Open sidewalk vending is permitted in the following locations:
– Iznart Street (from Jollibee to POS Marketing)
– J.M. Basa Street (from Socorro to Regent)
– Ledesma Street (from Iloilo Auto Supply to Pro-Racing)
– Valeria to Delgado Streets (from F&C to Iloilo Supermart)
– Delgado Street (from the corner of Merczi to Iloilo Supermart)
– Jaro Plaza (outside the perimeter of Jaro Plaza, excluding the area in Ledi Supermart)
– From the front of SM SaveMore at the Pius XII side to across the Montinola Mansion.
– Molo Plaza (in Locsin St. (Church) and Katilingban (M.H. del Pilar St.), particularly the site of Flyover vendors during Undas)
– Mandurriao (in De Leon St. across Mandurriao Police Station)