MPIW, supplier commit to keep the water flowing

From left FLO Water president Rogelio Florete Jr., FLO Water chairman Rogelio Florete Sr., Iloilo City Mayor Treñas, Iloilo Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr., MIWD OIC-manager Amarylis Josephine Castro, and MPIW chief operating officer Robert Cabiles. (Handout)

By Francis Allan L. Angelo

The water distribution utility in Metro Iloilo vowed to work with one of its bulk water suppliers under a provisional or temporary contract.

In a press statement, Metro Pacific Iloilo Water (MPIW) thanked political leaders for intervening in its negotiations with FLO Water Resources (Iloilo), Inc. of businessman Rogelio Florete Sr. over the weekend.

FLO Water’s 10-year contract with MPIW was supposed to expire on May 15, 2022, which also meant ending the 30,000-cubic meter daily supply to consumers in Iloilo City and its neighboring towns.

But MPIW and its public sector partner, Metro Iloilo Water District, salvaged the situation when they meet with FLO Water officials over the weekend through the help of Iloilo City Mayor Jerry Treñas and Iloilo Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr.

Also present in the meeting were FLO Water chairman Rogelio Florete Sr., his son and company president Rogelio Jr., MPIW chief operating officer Robert Cabiles, and MIWD OIC-manager Amarylis Josephine Castro.

MPIW said they forged a 6-month provisional agreement “to extend FLO Water’s supply of bulk water at P21 per cubic meter beyond its May 15, 2022 contract expiration under mutually agreed terms and conditions.”

The original price for the delivered water under the old contract was P11.72 and FLO Water asked to increase it to P35 under a new contract.

With the provisional agreement, MPIW said “there will be no more water interruption in the Municipality of Leganes, Barangay Pagsanga-an and Anilao in Pavia, Jaro, LaPaz and Lapuz District in Iloilo City and some parts of Sta. Barbara.”

“With the support and intervention of Mayor Treñas, Governor Defensor in collaboration with Metro Pacific Ilolilo Water District, MPIW customers in affected areas mentioned can expect steady water supply in the coming weeks. MPIW and FLO Water is committed to deliver sustainable and adequate water supply for the benefit of the Ilonggos,” the water utility added.

MPIW is the joint venture company formed by MIWD and Metro Pacific Water (MPW), which is the water infrastructure investment unit of Metro Pacific Investments Corporation (MPIC).

MPW owns 80 percent of MPIW while MIWD holds the remaining 20 percent.

MPIW covers the operation, rehabilitation, and maintenance of the water distribution and wastewater management facilities of MIWD.

If the negotiations fell through, around 20,000 consumers would have suffered low water supply or lack of supply as MPIW will be forced to ration water.