Octogenarian hurt in fire

By Glazyl Y. Masculino

BACOLOD CIty – An 80-year-old woman was wounded after her two-story house was razed by fire in Barangay Punta Taytay here yesterday.

The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP)-Bacolod reported that the house owner suffered minor burns on her hands, arms, and back. She was given first aid.

Senior Fire Officer 4 Jereck Barbas, ground commander during the incident, said the fire broke out around 10:43 a.m. in the dirty kitchen made of light materials, which is an extension to the house.

Barbas said the victim was cooking their food for lunch when she left their house for a while to buy something nearby. When she returned, she discovered that the gas stove was already burning, he added.

Barbas said the victim then pulled the LPG from the stove while it was on, and placed it inside their house made of concrete materials.

The blaze then caught the leak from the LPG. The victim tried to seek help, but the fire immediately spread to the other parts of the house.

Barbas said the cause of fire was an open flame from cooking using an LPG or an unattended cooking appliance.

The blaze damaged an estimated P3.6 million worth of properties, according to Barbas.

He said the victim was alone at home when the incident happened. Fire out was declared at 11:20 a.m.

Meanwhile, Barbas said that BFP personnel turned over P100,000 cash, jewelries, and documents to the victim after they found them during their fire mopping operation.