
By Jennifer P. Rendon and Felipe V. Celino
Police are investigating suspects involved in a highway robbery on Jan. 5 in Pilar, Capiz, where three persons were robbed of PHP 1 million in cash and valuables.
The robbers, wearing Philippine National Police (PNP) athletic uniforms, flagged down the victims and forced them to surrender their belongings.
Capiz provincial police chief, Colonel Albert Tapulao, confirmed that authorities have identified persons of interest and located the getaway vehicle, a silver Mitsubishi Mirage.
The vehicle was found in Barangay Moroboro, Dingle, but the owner claimed it had been borrowed prior to the robbery.
The victims were identified as Jorge Valsote, 48, of Poblacion Tabuc, Panay; Daniel Acervo, 35, of Barangay Parian, Sigma; and Jose Billones, 57, of Barangay Tanza Sur, Panay.
The three men were traveling in a Toyota Innova from Balasan, Iloilo, to Panay town when they were stopped around 9:55 a.m. by the suspects, who were armed with a .45 caliber pistol.
The robbers entered the vehicle and ordered the victims to hand over money, mobile phones, car keys, and other valuables before fleeing toward President Roxas, Capiz, in the Mitsubishi Mirage.
The victims were initially identified as workers of a beverage manufacturer, but the said firm clarified to Daily Guardian that they are not part of the company.
INSIDE JOB, LOOKOUTS
Police have suggested the possibility of additional suspects acting as lookouts and are investigating whether someone from their company provided information about the victims’ route and the large sum of money they were transporting.
“It’s possible that someone from the company or one of their colleagues provided information about their route and the big amount they were carrying at the time of the incident,” Tapulao said.
Pilar Municipal Police Station chief, Police Major Rachel Garnica, added that the suspects have been identified by the victims through photos in the police rogue gallery.
Garnica confirmed that the suspects are members of a notorious organized crime group operating in Iloilo and Capiz, with pending warrants for their arrest.
“We believe the incident was well-planned, as the suspects were familiar with the victims’ routine,” Garnica said.
Police Pursuit and Public Reminder
Authorities are conducting a backtracking investigation based on CCTV footage showing the suspects heading toward President Roxas town.
A hot pursuit operation continues, and police have requested a list of employees from the soft drink company where the victims work. Investigators are considering the possibility that one of the employees may have been involved in the crime.
Western Visayas police chief, Brigadier General Jack Wanky, reminded the public to remain vigilant against criminals impersonating police officers.
Wanky clarified that legitimate checkpoints should only be conducted by officers in official uniforms, in well-lit areas with clear signage, and with police patrol vehicles present.
“Checkpoints should be limited to visual searches of vehicles, and occupants should not be subjected to body searches,” Wanky emphasized.
Police are urging anyone with information to come forward to help resolve the case.
Stolen Items and Witnesses
The suspects made off with approximately PHP 1 million in cash, checks, mobile phones, car keys, and other valuables.
The victims had collected the proceeds from three days of soft drink sales in Balasan. Authorities confirmed that three minors witnessed the robbery.
The suspects fled in the Mitsubishi Mirage, which was later found abandoned. Police continue to investigate the incident.
(This story was updated to reflect the actual employment status of the victims. Coca-Cola Beverages Philippines clarified that the victims are not organic employees of the bottling company)