Senior citizen, nephew injured in fire

A BFP personnel probes the kitchen area of a two-storey house where a fire broke out caused by a leak from the hose line of a Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) tank in Barangay Banago, Bacolod City Wednesday. (Photo courtesy of BFP-Bacolod)

By Glazyl Y. Masculino

BACOLOD City – Two persons suffered minor injuries in a fire that broke out in a two-storey house at Purok Riverside, Zone 1, Barangay Banago here last Wednesday.

The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) – Bacolod, identified the victims as Elena Tayactac, 67, and her nephew Bernardo Vargas. Elena suffered burns on her left leg while Bernardo had burns on both legs.

Senior Fire Officer 4 (SFO4) Jereck Barbas of BFP-Bacolod said the blaze was caused by a leak from a hose line connected to a Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) tank.

It originated from the kitchen area on the first floor of the house owned by Tayactac around 8:07 a.m.

Barbas said that Tayactac asked her nephew to buy a new LPG tank after she had already used up the old one. However, when Vargas tried to install it on the stove, he failed to notice that it had a leak.

The victims tried to put out the fire, which caused them injuries.

The fire left an estimated P7,500 worth of damage. Fire out was declared six minutes later.