By Glazyl Y. Masculino
BACOLOD City – A barangay watchman was wounded in a fire on Burgos-Gatuslao Street, Purok Kadena De Amor, Barangay 11 here yesterday.
The victim was identified as Steve Decolongon, 51.
Chief Inspector Rodel Legaspi, city fire marshal, said Decolongon was asleep while his brother was preparing to cook their food.
The brother poured kerosene from a plastic container to their charcoal stove. But the container caught fire that led to the accident.
“Kadugay mag dukot siguro bala sang charcoal, so gin buhusan niya gas, galing na lab-ot sang kalayo pag ibwal,” Legaspi said.
The victim’s brother then got nervous which caused him to drop the burning plastic with gas, Legaspi said.
But the burning plastic hit Decolongon, who suffered first degree burns.
“Lapitay lang man ang gina lutuon nila abi sa ila gina tulugan, kay gamay man lang ang balay kag duwa lang sila,” Legaspi said.
Legaspi said the victim suffered minor burns in the chest, face, right hand, and left shoulder. He was taken to a hospital for proper treatment.
The fire damaged P200 worth of property.