Teen, tricycle driver killed

A police officer checks on an 18-year-old boy who was mauled by three minors and stabbed by an adult in a commotion at a public market in Barangay Zone 3, Cadiz City, Negros Occidental Monday. (Photo courtesy of Cadiz City Police Station)

By Glazyl Y. Masculino

BACOLOD City – A male teenager and a tricycle driver died in separate incidents in the cities of Cadiz and San Carlos in Negros Occidental last Monday.

In Cadiz City, an 18-year-old boy from Barangay Tinampa-an, died after he was mauled and stabbed by a group of minors and an adult at the public market in Barangay Zone 3.

Police Lieutenant Colonel John Joel Batusbatusan, city police chief, said the victim and his group figured in a commotion with the suspect’s group after the latter sighted them in the area.

Batusbatusan said the suspects allegedly planned their revenge against the victim’s group after they previously had a misunderstanding.

The three suspects aged 13 and 17, allegedly ganged up on the victim, while the 42-year-old father of one of the suspects allegedly stabbed him. The victim was declared dead at the hospital.

The two minor-suspects were later arrested in Barangay Zone 3 that day, while the 42-year-old suspect and the other minor surrendered to the police in Barangay Luna Proper.

The adult suspect is facing murder charges, while police are waiting for the discernment of the three minors.

“Kung may discernment na, puwede sila (minors) mangin accessory to the crime,” Batusbatusan said.

He added that grudges between two groups of youngsters triggered the incident, but it so happened that the father of one of the suspects also meddled in the conflict.

The incident was no longer part of the culmination of the 50th Dinagsa Festival in the city last Sunday, as it happened early Monday.

Meanwhile, in San Carlos City, a tricycle driver who was alleged to be a drug personality was shot dead inside his house at Purok Kamagong, Barangay 1.

Police identified the victim as 44-year-old Omar Eburda.

Major Ryan Villasario, deputy chief of San Carlos City Police Station, said the victim was sitting inside his house when an unidentified person suddenly entered and shot him. The victim died on the spot due to head injuries, while the suspect fled.

Police recovered from the scene three fired bullets from a .45 caliber firearm.

Villasario said the victim survived a gun attack in October last year. But, he said they could not confirm if the same perpetrators were behind the two incidents.

He said the victim was under the drugs watchlist of the barangay, and they are not discounting the possibility that his death could be drug-related. Villasario added that they are also exploring other possible angles.