Two dead from electrocution in Negros Occidental

A police officer checks on a 19-year-old boy who died after being electrocuted in Barangay Maquiling, Sagay City, Negros Occidental, on Thursday. (Photo courtesy of Sagay City Police Station)

By Glazyl Y. Masculino

BACOLOD CITY – Two persons, including a teenager, died after being electrocuted in separate incidents in Bacolod City and Negros Occidental on Wednesday and Thursday.

In Sagay City, a senior high school student was electrocuted when a pipe he was holding accidentally got stuck in electrical wiring in Barangay Maquiling on Thursday. According to the police, the 19-year-old victim climbed up a mango tree beside a church to pick mangoes when he was electrocuted.

Neighbors and his family responded and used a bamboo pole to remove the victim from the pipe connected to the electrical wires. The victim was taken to Alfredo E. Marañon Sr. Memorial District Hospital, but he was declared dead, according to Police Lieutenant Hannah Banquil, deputy chief of Sagay City Police Station.

Meanwhile, in Bacolod, a 44-year-old man was also electrocuted in a funeral parlor in Barangay Sum-ag, where he was working. Police Captain Michael Tuburan, head of Police Station 9, said the victim was fixing an electrical wire when the incident happened on Wednesday.

The victim was identified as Jennefer Raynon of the same village. His live-in partner discovered him unconscious in a room, with an injury on his left eyebrow. His stepdaughter immediately turned off the circuit breaker. A co-worker brought Raynon outside to seek help from neighbors until he was taken to South Bacolod General Hospital, where he was declared dead.