
By Francis Allan L. Angelo and Joseph B.A. Marzan
(As part of our effort to educate voters in the May 9, 2022 elections, Daily Guardian will parse through the platforms of personalities who declared their candidacies, particularly on the hot-button issues of illegal drugs, human rights, economy, and the COVID-19 pandemic)
The decision of the International Criminal Court (ICC) to formally authorize an official probe into alleged crimes against humanity in President Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs” has opened discussions on the stand of prospective candidates on how to solve the problem of illicit narcotics trade.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Hague-based tribunal said there was “reasonable basis” to proceed with the probe noting that “specific legal element of the crime against humanity of murder” has been met in the crackdown that left thousands dead.
The ICC’s pre-trial chamber said that while it recognizes the Philippines’ aim to combat drug smuggling and addiction, the “so-called ‘war on drugs’ campaign cannot be seen as a legitimate law enforcement operation, and the killings neither as legitimate nor as mere excesses in an otherwise legitimate operation.”
Judges Péter Kovács, Reine Adélaïde Sophie Alapini-Gansou and María del Socorro Flores Liera signed the investigation order.
The court said that its judges considered the evidence presented on behalf of at least 204 victims, and what they found suggested that a “widespread and systematic attack against the civilian population took place pursuant to or in furtherance of a state policy”.
It is in this context that Senators Panfilo Lacson and Vicente Sotto III vowed a more holistic approach in dealing with the illegal drug problem.
Sotto and Lacson, who earlier announced their bid for Vice President and President, respectively, in the May 2022 elections, revealed their plans during their visit to Iloilo City last week.
Citing gray areas in the campaign of the current administration, Senate President Sotto said there is a need to focus more on the prevention and rehabilitation.
Sotto noted that the current administration’s war on drugs went off to a good start on the enforcement side but supply of narcotics continue to flow in.
“I will remove selling when it comes to the problem with illegal drugs and drug abuse – these are two different animals. That’s the problem that we encounter now. Maganda ang umpisa noong 2016 when it comes to law enforcement pero tanong ng karamihan: Bakit meron pa? Bakit may pumapasok pa ring (droga)? Bakit maraming shabu laboratory nahuhuli,” Sotto told reporters.
Lacson said they will pursue the war on drugs, but “not in the way the President (Rodrigo Duterte) is doing it.”
The former PNP chief-turned-senator pointed out the greatest flaws of this administration’s drug war – prematurely announcing the drug list and order battle.
“If you do it that way, the end result is you tagged people perceived to be not allies or shall we say, political enemies of the administration,” Lacson said.
Revealing the so-called narco-list to the public, especially if the information is validated, is actually telegraphing and forewarning suspected drug personalities.
Lacson believes that the list is supposed to be a confidential document that could lead to more information and gather enough evidence to prosecute suspected peddlers and their patrons.
“‘Yun ang gamit ng order battle, hindi para sa pag-harass, ipahiya and even put in peril the lives of those people,” he added.
BIAS FOR ENFORCEMENT?
Sotto said there is too much focus on the enforcement side which is zealous enough in arresting drug peddlers, filing cases and even killings “lalo na kung naka-tsinelas.”
But the problem on the drug abuse side was not given enough spotlight. He said it must be addressed via supply and demand reduction strategies.
Sotto suggested that children as young as 13 years old must have a drug abuse resistance program to keep them from being drug dependent.
“Because kung walang gagamit, walang magbebenta,” he said.
For those who are drug dependent already, Sotto underscored a strong and meticulous rehabilitation program accredited by the Department of Health.
“It’s not like meron kang rehabilitation center – ilagay mo ‘yung drug dependent (and) after six months ‘yon na ‘yon. Hindi, babalik ‘yan pag hindi tama ang rehabilitation program.”
Profiling of drug dependents is also important to know what kind of rehabilitation program would suit them.
“The bottomline is the day they stop buying is the day they stop selling,” Sotto emphasized.
ESSENTIAL TRAVEL
Meanwhile, the two senators said their visit to Iloilo City and province were essential, despite rising cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the country.
Lacson and Sotto visited Iloilo City Mayor Jerry Treñas and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Jr. and praised the city and provincial governments’ respective responses to the pandemic and the areas’ attractiveness to visitors.
In a press conference at the provincial capitol, Lacson said their visit was “to touch base” with Ilonggos and check on the city and province’s respective COVID situations and vaccination statuses.
Sotto called it a “consultative meeting” to get the pulse of the Ilonggos, which he did not specify further.
They were joined by their companions, Representative Pantaleon Alvarez (Davao del Norte-1st) and former Rep. Arnel Ty (LPGMA Partylist).
The tandem defended the necessity of the trip amid rising COVID-19 cases both in Metro Manila and in Iloilo province.
Lacson said that all of them who came to Iloilo had been fully vaccinated and followed protocols, including taking swab tests.
The senator added that Alvarez also wanted to meet Defensor in person again.
He added that Iloilo was also crucial to their victory, like all other areas of the country.
Sotto also said that they also visited some of their relatives who were based in the city and province of Iloilo.
Iloilo is considered as a “vote-rich” area every election season. Commission on Elections data showed that 1.13 million or 84.56 percent of registered voters showed up in the 2016 presidential election.
“It’s really different in meeting the governor. [Defensor] and [Alvarez] are old friends, so they really wanted to touch base and be in touch physically than through just social media or phone,” said Lacson.
The tandem also said that they have already decided when they would file their Certificates of Candidacy but refused to disclose the exact date. The filing period is from October 1 to 8, 2021.
Their current senatorial lineup includes Rep. Loren Legarda (Antique-Lone), Sorsogon Governor Chiz Escudero, Information and Communications Technology Secretary Gregorio Honasan, and incumbent Senators Joel Villanueva and Miguel Zubiri.
They currently have 9 candidates they would “surely” endorse, but Sotto said that they would be endorsing a full 12-candidate senatorial slate by October.