By Glazyl Y. Masculino
BACOLOD City – Four candidates in this year’s Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections (BSKE) withdrew their candidacies, according to the Commission on Elections (Comelec).
Atty. Kathrina Trinio-Caña, city election officer, said that two barangay councilors and two SK councilors withdrew as of last week.
Among those who pulled out from the race are candidates for SK kagawad and a barangay kagawad in Mansilingan village, an SK kagawad in Barangay 38, and a barangay kagawad in another village.
Caña said the bets may have realized how strenuous the campaign is, even at the village level.
“Nag withdraw sila kay wala lang. Siguro na realize nila na makapoy gali,” Caña said.
Caña also said that there was an attempt for disqualification, but it was not accepted because it was not a verified petition.
A total of 2,917 candidates have filed their COCs from August 28 to September 2 here, based on the data from the Comelec.
For barangay captains, there are 161 candidates, 1,590 for the barangay kagawad, 166 for SK chair, and 1,000 for SK kagawad.
Position for barangay captain are unopposed in Barangays 7, 15, 24, 25, 32, and 36, while for the SK kagawad are from Barangays 24, 25, 34, 36, and 37.
Barangay 24 has only four SK kagawad candidates, while also unopposed for SK chair are from Barangays 24, 36, and 37.
Meanwhile, Caña said that more than 2,700 teachers from public and private schools will serve in the BSKE here on October 30.
She said that an honorarium of P10,000 and P,9000 will be given to electoral chairpersons and board members, respectively.