Iloilo’s No. 2 most wanted yields after failed arrest

Severino Sangrador Jr.

By Jennifer P. Rendon 

A former security guard who was implicated in a sensational murder case almost 12 years ago surrendered to authorities afternoon of April 19, 2020 in Passi City, Iloilo.

Members of Passi City Police Station took custody of Severino Sangrador Jr. alias Jun-Jun/Onyok, 36, of Barangay Sagrada Familia, Dumarao, Capiz, around 3 p.m. Sunday at Barangay Tagubung, Passi City.

Police Master Sergeant Jason Sofio said Sangrador surrendered to former Barangay Kagawad Asong of Gemumua village.

The surrender happened two days after the suspect escaped from a dragnet set up by the Iloilo Police Provincial Office-Intelligence Branch.

He allegedly put up a fight and got wounded but managed to elude arrest.

Sangrador is a respondent in Criminal Case No. 09-66978 for robbery with homicide back in 2009.

His arrest warrant was issued by Judge Rene Hortillo on March 23, 2009. No bail was set for his temporary liberty.

Sangrador is considered the No. 2 most wanted person in Iloilo province. He is presently confined at Don Valerio F. Palmares Sr., Memorial District Hospital in Passi City, Iloilo for medical treatment.



Sangrador used to work as a security guard at Savannah Subdivision when the incident happened on August 3, 2008.

Sangrador and Severo Segumban were not immediately arrested for their alleged involvement in the robbery, rape and murder of Claire Nueros.

Sangrador and Segumban were tagged in the Savannah murder case by the latter’s brother, Benigno, who was arrested by the Criminal Investigation and Detectio Group (CIDG) and Oton police for illegal possession of firearms.

Aside from Benigno Segumban, the police also collared Roy Somcio also for unlicensed firearms.

Then CIDG-6 regional chief Renato Gumban said they recovered from Benigno Segumban and Somcio two homemade shotguns, a caliber .38 revolver, assorted bullets and camouflage pants allegedly used by the suspects in robbing Nueros.

Benigno later admitted to the police that he hid the caliber .45 pistol of Nueros’ husband, Dr. Michael Nueros, under a haystack near his house.

Benigno later claimed that his brother Severo was involved in Nueros’ death.

Autopsy reports said Nueros died of strangulation and heavy blows to her head. The medico legal officer also found lacerations in her sexual organ, an indication that she may have been raped.

Nueros’ househelp, Charmaine Larupay, said the suspects wore masks, camouflage jackets and shorts and wielded long firearms.