Three minors hospitalized for eating red tide-laced green shell in Pilar

By Felipe V Celino

ROXAS CITY, CAPIZ– Three minors were hospitalized after eating green shells contaminated with Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) or red tide Tuesday afternoon at Barangay San Ramon, Pilar, Capiz.

Ronald Roa, fishery coordinator of the municipality of Pilar, confirmed that the green shells eaten by the two male siblings and their cousin were positive for red tide per examination by the doctor.

He said that the minors experienced vomiting and weakness after eating the shells from San Ramon Bay.

Except for the mother, six other members of the family consumed the green shells during lunch and supper but only the minors suffered PSP symptoms.

Based on Shellfish Bulletin No. 24 series of 2023 dated October 17, 2023, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR-6) declared the town of Panay is negative for the red tide toxin, but the towns of Sapian, Ivisan, Pilar, President Roxas and Roxas City are still positive for the said toxin.

Local authorities in the province have advised the public to refrain from harvesting, transporting and eating shellfish coming from the said towns and Roxas City.